MTU Aero Engines develops, manufactures, sells and services commercial and military propulsion systems for airplanes and helicopters, as well as industrial gas turbines. The key to our success is developing the propulsion systems of tomorrow —even more economical, lower in emissions and quieter. With roughly 10,000 employees, we are present around the world, but we make our home in Germany. You, too, can become part of our dedicated Team:
Verfasser (m/w/d) einer Masterarbeit für das Thema: Adaptive Tetrahedral Meshing
In Finite Element calculations the quality of the mesh clearly influences the accuracy of the results. In practice, engineers rarely have the time to repeat a calculation for several meshes in order to perform a convergence study. Therefore, error estimators are used so that the user gets an impression on the quality of this results. Bad quality results usually require a local mesh refinement. Instead of doing this refinement by hand automatic procedures can be coded to refine the mesh in those areas where the error is large. This may also require the redefinition of the boundary conditions and loads on the model.
In previous work a stress error estimator has been implemented in the free software finite element program CalculiX (www.calculix.de; the GNU General Public License applies). Recently, an automatic refinement procedure has been implemented, which has shown to work on a simple example. The topic of this thesis is to evaluate this procedure for real engine components and supplement it with smoothing routines and an automatic adaptation of the boundary and loading conditions.
- Analysis of the currently implemented code
- Perform tests on simple and complicated engine components such as blades and casings
- Enhance the refinement procedure with a smoothing algorithm
- Complement the program with routines for the automatic redefinition of boundary and loading conditions
- engineering or physics major
- good knowledge of the finite element method
- willing to program in C and FORTRAN
- good knowledge of the English language
- citizen of the European Community
Are you interested in the job? Give your career a boost and send us your complete application (Letter of Motivation, CV, Transcript of Records, High School Diploma).
We look forward to getting to know you.