MTU Aero Engines develops, manufactures, sells and services commercial and military propulsion systems for airplanes and helicopters, as well as industrial gas turbines. The key to our success is developing the propulsion systems of tomorrow - even more economical, lower in emissions and quieter. With roughly 10,000 employees, we are present around the world, but we make our home in Germany. You, too, can become part of our dedicated Team in Munich:
PhD Student (m/f/n): Conceptual Design of the Water-Enhanced Turbofan and Multidisciplinary Optimization
Code - TETA/723
The “Water-Enhanced Turbofan” (WET) is one of the most promising revolutionary concepts of MTU Aero Engines. The WET engine is based on a modern gas turbine and incorporates several new components such as a water vaporizer and a water condenser. The overall conceptual design, the integration of components and a multidisciplinary optimization on aircraft level are major steps for proving the concept’s potentials. In an interdisciplinary and international environment, we are looking for a PhD student (m/f/n) to strengthen our WET predesign team.
Your thesis will focus on the conceptual design of the overall engine system. At first, cycle performances of different WET engine architectures need to be investigated. Therefore, existing methods of conventional gas turbines need to be extended to simulate the system with all new components under operational conditions. The developed methods will comprise the aero- and thermodynamics, weight and structural mechanics, which are necessary to determine the performance, geometry and installation effects. Furthermore, the WET engine should be investigated and optimized on aircraft level in order to assess the interdependent effects on system weight, system volume, and finally fuel consumption and emissions. To validate and refine the physical methods, available CFD and experimental data shall be analyzed.
- Develop multidisciplinary methods to assess the WET engine performance
- Refine methods, which cope with fluid phase change and different fluid types
- Conceptually design all WET engine components and optimize the overall system, with focus on aero- and thermodynamics, weight and structural mechanics
- Implement the methods in NPSS with unit tests and documentation in accordance with MTU programming standards
- Create design rules for WET engine design and publish the results on international conferences and in acknowledged journals
- Completed studies in aerospace engineering (university) or a comparable field with very good / excellent results
- Experience in the fields of fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer
- Knowledge of aero engine design and operation
- Programming experience in Python, C++ or comparable languages
- Excellent analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Talent for communication and coordination across teams
- Good English language skills
- Meticulous work ethic and a high degree of self-control
We offer you numerous additional services that are tailored to your needs. These include extensive further training and customized development programs, an attractive pension scheme, health and fitness offers, measures to combine family and professional life, such as flexible working time models or the possibility of mobile working.
We offer you the best possible conditions for your success!
Being a high-tech company, it is in our best interests to also capitalize on the unique skills and qualities women with a strong set of qualifications bring to the table. We actively encourage applications from female candidates who fit the bill.
Give your career a boost and send us your complete application. Please indicate your earliest possible start date and your salary requirement, and use our online application form, which you can access directly from this page.
We look forward to getting to know you.